Wildcats finish first at Chip-n Club Invitational

0
51
The K-State women’s golf team and coaches pose with the team championship trophy after winning the Chip-N Club Invitational on Sept. 27, 2016 at the Wilderness Ridge Country Club in Lincoln, Nebraska. (Photo Courtesy of K-State Athletics)

The Kansas State woman’s golf team won the Chip-n Club Invitational in Lincoln, Nebraska on Tuesday. This was the Wildcat’s 10th team competition win in program history and first since winning two in 2014.

“The team did a great job from start to finish,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “They showed a great deal of character to put together a strong round like that today. It was a total team effort.”

The Wildcats finished the three-day tournament with a 54-hole score of 14-over par 878.

The Wildcats’ final round tied for the fifth lowest single-round score in program history and the 10th best 54-hole score in program history.

The Wildcats were led by seniors Paige Nelson and Madison Talley, and sophomore Chloe Weir.

Nelson was the Cats’ top finisher, placing third with a score of 2-over par. It was her best finish of her Wildcat career. Talley and Weir both finished in a tie for fourth place at 3-over par.

Other teams competing included South Dakota State, Nebraska, UMKC, and North Dakota State.

K-State will now have a three-week break before their next tournament on Oct. 17-18. They will compete in the Greenville Regional Preview in Greenville, North Carolina.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.