Big 12 offensive power rankings: Week 5

0
144
Texas Tech sophomore quarterback Patrick Mahomes II gets tackled by then-senior defensive end Marquel Bryant in the football game between Kansas State and Texas Tech on Nov. 14, 2015, at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock, Texas. The Red Raiders won 59-44. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

1. Patrick Mahomes II, junior QB, Texas Tech

Despite a bye week, Mahomes stays at the top again. Until someone gives a reason to replace him, there will be no need to. The junior averages more than 480 yards of total offense a game and has 22 total touchdowns. Mahomes boosted his stats even more in Texas Tech’s 55-19 dismantling of Kansas Thursday night even though he missed almost half of the game due to injury.

2. Kenny Hill, junior QB, TCU

Hill had another big game this past week against SMU. Hill threw for 452 yards and two touchdowns against the Mustangs. Hill will face his biggest challenge yet this year against the Oklahoma defense on Saturday.

3. Skyler Howard, senior QB, West Virginia

Howard was impressive against BYU this past Saturday. He threw for 332 yards and a touchdown against the Cougars and practically willed his team to victory. Howard will face probably the toughest defense he’s seen yet this season when the Mountaineers take on K-State Saturday.

4. Chris Platt, sophomore WR, Baylor

Platt had his best game of the season this past Saturday against Oklahoma State. Platt stepped up while the Bears’ junior wide receiver KD Cannon spent much of the night on the sideline because of injury. Platt finished with 114 yards and two touchdowns on only three receptions.

5. John Diarse, junior WR, TCU

TCU quarterback Kenny Hill has a wealth of wide receivers to throw to and Diarse is one of them. The graduate transfer from LSU had six catches for 139 yards, including a 75-yard touchdown grab. Look for Diarse to be a threat against the Sooners this week.

6. James Washington, junior WR, Oklahoma State

Washington didn’t do anything spectacular against the Bears last weekend as he recorded six catches for 89 yards. Washington still leads the Big 12 in receiving yards per game so he keeps his spot in the top 10. Washington will be crucial in the Cowboys’ game against Texas on Saturday.

7. Jesse Ertz, junior QB, Kansas State

Ertz may not have the numbers of his Big 12 quarterback counterparts but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t been impressive. This past week against Missouri State, Ertz was seven of eight for 94 yards through the air, along with 85 yards on the ground on just three carries. That’s efficiency. Ertz will need to up his game even more against West Virginia on Saturday.

8. Kyle Hicks, junior RB, TCU

Hicks stays at the No. 8 spot after a solid game against SMU. Hicks finished with 89 yards on the ground and was a threat in passing as well, with 53 yards receiving.

9. Shelton Gibson, junior WR, West Virginia

Gibson had another big game for the Mountaineers, receiving 144 yards on just four catches. Gibson has become a reliable target for senior quarterback Skyler Howard this year.

10. Winston Dimel, sophomore FB, Kansas State

Dimel stays in the top 10 for his touchdowns alone. Dimel leads the Big 12 in scoring per game and has six touchdowns this season on only 12 carries.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.