Kansas State student charged with murder of 22-year-old ex-girlfriend

0
3953
Dane Owens (Photo Courtesy of Sedgwick County Sheriff Records)

A 22-year-old woman was confirmed dead after she was allegedly shot in the head in Wichita by her ex-boyfriend on Monday, according to the Wichita Eagle.

Dane Thomas Owens, sophomore in social work, has been charged with one count intentional first-degree murder and aggravated burglary, according to Sedgwick County Jail’s online records.

Lt. Todd Ojile said in a press conference that police were not called to investigate the shooting until 4 p.m on Monday. The shooting was believed to have occurred around noon.

Upon arrival, the woman was found with a gunshot wound to her head, and was transported to Wesley Medical Center in “extremely critical” condition.

Family members had been trying to contact the 22-year-old female throughout the day, and they were unable to contact her.

According to Ojile, the female was supposed to pick her mother up at 3 p.m., and when she did not show up, the mother got a ride from one of her coworkers.

It was then that she discovered her daughter had been shot, and she called the police.

Ojile said his department has learned the victim had previously broken up with Owens.

“There had been basic communications (between the female and Owens) off and on,” Ojile said.

Olije said a weapon that was believed to have been used by Owens was recovered from a lake in east Wichita.

Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!