K-State tennis brings home doubles championship at SMU Invite

0
55
Sophomore Livia Cirnu gets ready to bat the ball back on Feb. 11, 2015, at Body First Tennis and Fitness Center. The Wildcats stomped MSU 5-1 overall. (Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

In the final day of the SMU Invite, the Kansas State tennis team finished in high fashion, with four wins, which included a double’s title.

Seniors Livia Cirnu and Iva Bago brought home the doubles’ championship after beating Alex Bourguignon and Graciela Rosas of Gonzaga 6-4. The Wildcats continue their doubles success, after bringing home two championships last week at the OU Invite.

“Our doubles were very strong once again,” head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “Even when we had to switch the teams up due to illness, we still showed up strong and were able to win. I think all the work we put into doubles in the past two years is finally paying off, and we are very excited about that.”

Another pair of seniors, Maria Panaite and Palma Juhasz, also won a doubles match, defeating Angeles de los Rios and Valeria Lopez of UT-Arlington 6-3.

Bago and Panaite also won their singles matches on the day. Victoria Kareh of Incarnate World fell victim to Bago, 6-1, 6-1. Panaite took down Jocelle Rudico of Air Force 6-2, 6-1.

The next tournament for the Wildcats will be in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as the team competes in the ITA Regional Championships Oct. 13-17.

“We basically have one day of practice before we head out to Minnesota for our biggest tournament of the fall,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “The regional field is very deep this year, maybe the deepest we’ve had in recent years, and I am very excited to see the team compete at the highest level.”