Wildcats impressive in 4-set win over Frogs

0
44
Senior outside hitter Brooke Sassin puts the ball over the net past the blockers during the K-State volleyball match against TCU in Ahearn Field House on Oct. 8, 2016. (Nathan Jones | The Collegian)

The Kansas State volleyball team won its second straight match when the Wildcats defeated the TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday in four sets inside Ahearn Field House.

The Wildcats are now 14-4 on the season and are 3-2 in conference play while TCU is 10-6 overall and 3-3 in Big 12 play.

K-State won the first set 33-31 after facing several set points by the Horned Frogs. It tied for the longest first set in K-State program history.

“There was tremendous volleyball being played,” head coach Suzie Fritz said of the first set to K-State Sports. “It was big for us. I felt, in that moment, that whoever was able to win that (set) was going to have tremendous momentum the rest of the match.”

The Horned Frogs responded, though, by winning the second set 25-21 to even up the match at 1-1.

According to Fritz, the spot where the momentum of the match went to the Wildcats was in the third set.

The Wildcats won the final 11 of 13 points, which featured an 8-0 run. They won set three 25-18.

“The turning point for us was late in the third,” Fritz said to K-State Sports. “I thought the defense really helped spark that run. Our back-row defense was tremendous digging balls and it helped us finally end a side-out battle and get on a little bit of a scoring run. I thought that really changed the momentum of the match.”

Senior outside hitter Brooke Sassin had seven kills in the third set and led the team with 21 kills in the match.

K-State dominated the fourth set, winning it 25-15 and winning the match 3-1. The Wildcats finished the match with a hitting percentage of .301, which was their second straight match hitting over .300.

Junior opposite hitter Bryna Vogel had a double-double with 14 kills and led the team in digs with 20.

It was also another good game for senior setter Katie Brand, who was one kill shy of her second career triple-double as she finished the match with nine kills, 56 assists and 11 digs in the winning effort.

The Wildcats will now turn their attention to sixth-ranked in-state rival the Kansas Jayhawks as they travel to Lawrence on Wednesday at 6 p.m.

Kansas is coming off a three-set win over the Texas Tech on Saturday and are 7-0 at home this season.