K-State takes on Oklahoma Saturday

0
50
Senior outside hitter Brooke Sassin hits the ball over the net against KU during the Sunflower Showdown at Horesji Family Athletic Center on Oct. 12, 2016. (Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The Kansas State volleyball team will look to regroup after a straight set loss to the Kansas Jayhawks Wednesday night inside the Horejsi Family Athletics Center in Lawrence.

“We got better as the match went,” head coach Suzie Fritz said. “We did gain some momentum as the match went on, but we can’t allow three hitters to hit over .350 and have any expectations of being in a match. We weren’t good enough offensively or defensively. We weren’t purposeful with our swings. I thought we had two bright spots. (Sophomore outside hitter) Alyssa Schultejans came in and played really well and (junior opposite hitter) Bryna Vogel did a nice job digging balls and being efficient.”

The Wildcats will travel to Norman, Oklahoma, to face off against the Sooners at 6 p.m. Saturday. This is the first home match for the Sooners in October after playing four straight road matches.

K-State is 14-5 this season and 3-3 in Big 12 play while Oklahoma is 12-7 and also 3-3 in conference play.

The Sooners have been playing very good volleyball lately as they are winners of their last three matches after dropping the first three in Big 12 play.

They defeated Texas Tech Wednesday and won two straight matches in Morgantown, West Virginia, against the Mountaineers last weekend.

Oklahoma will look to senior middle blocker Micaela Spann, who leads the Big 12 in hitting percentage at .420.

K-State will also keep an eye on Sooner senior outside hitter Madison Ward, who is ninth in the conference in kills with 3.18 per set.

Oklahoma is third in the conference in kills with 13.9 per set and also third in assists with an average of exactly 13 per set.

The Wildcats will lean on their offense as they have for most of the season as they still lead the Big 12 in kills and assists even after their three-set loss to Kansas.

Schultejans was a spark in the match against the Jayhawks as she finished with 14 kills in the losing effort while senior middle blocker Katie Reininger contributed with nine.

Last year, K-State defeated the Sooners on the road in three sets and won in five sets at home.

After this match against the Sooners, K-State will have a week off from match play before hosting West Virginia inside Ahearn Field House Oct. 22 with the first serve coming at 6 p.m.