K-State volleyball takes down Sooners

0
61
Senior setter Katie Brand sets the ball during the K-State volleyball match against TCU in Ahearn Field House on Oct. 8, 2016. (Nathan Jones | The Collegian)

The Kansas State volleyball team got back on track this past Saturday when they defeated the Oklahoma Sooners in four sets.

The Wildcats bounced back to win three straight sets after dropping set number one.

In the fourth set, the Wildcats trailed 24-22, but rallied to win the set 28-26 to win the match and improve to 15-5 on the season and 4-3 in Big 12 play. The Sooners are now 12-8 and 3-4 in conference play.

“No one panicked,” senior setter Katie Brand said to K-State Sports after the match. “We just kept fighting. We knew what we needed to do and just took each point as it came. We got contributions from everyone. Zsofia Gyimes came in and played awesome, maybe her best game of the season. Alyssa Schultejans came up big for us again, too.”

Sophomore outside hitter Schultejans had a season high 15 kills in the winning effort and has seen lots of playing time in these past few games.

Sophomore middle blocker Gyimes had seven kills and hit at an incredible mark of .583.

The Wildcats dropped the first set after losing in three sets to Kansas on Wednesday night, but the team showed no panic in the resilient four set win.

“We played about as poorly as we have all season in that first set,” Brand said. “But we are a veteran team and we’ve been in these situations before. Whether you lose a set by two or by 10, it ultimately doesn’t matter. We made the adjustments we needed and just kept working.”

K-State won the second set 25-19 and were led by senior outside hitter Brooke Sassin, who had seven kills in the set. In the third, The Wildcats held off the Sooners and took it 25-21 as Sassin once again provided seven kills while Schultejans had six in the set.

It was another night that Sassin led the team in kills this time with 17 of them, junior outside hitter Bryna Vogel had 10. Brand had 52 assists and 10 digs, which marked her 11 double-double of the season which leads the conference. Senior libero Kersten Kober had a match high 15 digs, which is the 17th time that she had double-digit digs this season.

The Wildcats will have a bye on Wednesday before they host West Virginia on Saturday. The Mountaineers have struggled this season, they are 11-10 overall and 2-5 in Big 12 play. That match will hit off at 6 p.m. inside Ahearn Field House.