K-State ranks low in Trojan sexual health report

0
349

Kansas State fell in the rankings of the 2016 Trojan Sexual Health Report Card, an annual ranking compiled with research from Sperling’s BestPlaces and sponsored by the maker of Trojan Brand Condoms.

K-State ranks at 95 of 140 major universities in sexual health resources and information available to students on campus. Last year, K-State ranked 64.

The University of Kansas moved up in the rankings from 83 to 80.

The University of Georgia took the top spot, with the University of Texas the highest Big 12 school at No. 5.

Seven of the bottom 10 were private, religious universities. Brigham Young University took the bottom spot, with Baylor University the lowest Big 12 school at 132.

The research used 11 categories to rank the universities:

• Quality of sexual health information and resources on website
  • Contraceptive availability — free or at cost
  • Condom availability — free or at cost
  • HIV testing on-site (On/off campus, cost)
  • STI testing on-site (On/off campus, cost)
  • Lecture/outreach programs and student peer groups for sexual health education
  • Sexual assault programs, resources or services
  • Overall website usability and quality
  • Hours of operation
  • Allow drop-ins or require appointments for student scheduling
  • Extra credit

Trojan started the report in 2006. They are also donating more than 100,000 condoms to universities this year.

The Collegian received a box of condoms last week from Trojan. This week the Collegian is holding a competition to win the condoms.

We filled a jar with the condoms, and anyone can take a guess at how many are in it. The winner wins the condoms. You have until Friday at 5 p.m. to guess and a winner will be announced on Monday on Twitter.

To guess, go to: http://www.kstatecollegian.com/condoms/.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.