Strong final round not enough as Wildcats finish 9th

0
64
Then-junior Madison Talley chips on to hole 14 at Colbert Hills on Oct. 13, 2015, during a team practice. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

Although the Wildcats posted their lowest 54-hole score of the year, they were in too deep of a hole and finished in ninth place at the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational on Tuesday.

“We had a good round today and lowered our team score each round,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “This field was jam-packed with talent. It may not look pretty on paper, but it is a solid result. It is one we can build on.”

The Wildcats finished the tournament with a 10-over-par 874. As a team, according to the Golfstat rankings, Kansas State sits at 46th in the country.

Individually, senior Madison Talley led the way for the Wildcats. Talley tied for 12th and carded a 1-under-par 215 over the course of the tournament, which is her lowest three-round score of the season.

Junior Connie Jaffrey wasn’t too far behind, tying for 31st with a 4-over-par 220. Senior Paige Nelson and sophomore Chloe Weir both tied for 37th with scores of 6-over-par 222. Senior Katherine Gravel-Coursol tied for 56th with a 12-over-par 228.

Arkansas won the tournament as team by five strokes, shooting a 16-under-par 848. Individually, junior Alana Uriell of Arkansas won with a 12-under-par 204.

The next tournament for K-State will be Nov. 7-8 as the Wildcats participate in the Trinity Forest Invitational. This will mark the final tournament of the fall season.