Wildcats drop match to Cyclones

0
32
Assistant coach Trent Sorensen talks to the team between sets during the volleyball match against West Virginia in Ahearn Field House on Oct. 22, 2016. (File Photo by Nathan Jones | The Collegian)

The Kansas State volleyball team fell in four sets as they lost to the Iowa State Cyclones on Wednesday night inside Hilton Coliseum.

The Wildcats are now 16-6 overall and 5-4 in Big 12 play while Iowa State is 12-9 overall and 4-5 in conference play.

K-State found themselves in a 23-20 hole in the first set, but then won the next five points behind three kills from senior outside hitter Brooke Sassin to take the opening set.

“Brooke had a fantastic game for us and she did a great job managing in difficult situations,” assistant coach Trent Sorensen said on the radio after the match. “She did a great job of mixing up her shots and her selection was great.”

In the next set, Iowa State held a 24-20 lead, but the Wildcats rallied to win the next three points to get within one at 24-23. K-State had an attack error on the next point allowing the Cyclones to even up the match at 1-1.

The third set was very even and the Wildcats had their chance to win the set, but the Cyclones fought off two set points and won it 26-24.

Iowa State dominated the fourth set, then won it 25-15 to defeat the Wildcats 3-1.

K-State was led in kills by Sassin with 19 and junior outside hitter Bryna Vogel had 10. Senior setter Katie Brand and sophomore outside hitter Alyssa Schultejans both provided nine.

Wildcat freshman middle blocker Elle Sandbothe had six kills, seven blocks and played in all four sets in the match.

“As a freshman coming in and playing in a tough environment she played very well,” Sorensen said. “She held it down and had some big blocks in some big moments and her confidence she (will) be pretty high right now.”

The Wildcats were held to a hitting percentage of .211 while Iowa State hit .308 in the match.

K-State will now have two straight home matches, the first coming against Baylor on Saturday night. The Wildcats lost in three sets to the Bears earlier last month.

“This game was a tough one so we need to learn from this, but it hurts,” Sorensen said. “We need to go back and watch it and figure out what we need to do better. Baylor is a good team and we are happy to take them on at home and hopefully win it in Ahearn.”