K-State wins 100th “Farmageddon” contest

0
128
Junior quarterback Jesse Ertz throws a pass at the game against Texas on Oct. 22, 2016, in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by Hallie Lucas | The Collegian)

The Kansas State football team had to hold on late for the second straight week, this time against Iowa State in a 31-26 win. Here are some things that stood out from the game.

Offense

Junior quarterback Jesse Ertz has steadily improved each week and is doing quite well for a first-year starting quarterback under head coach Bill Snyder. The offense is also doing a much better job of playing to Ertz’s strengths. His capabilities as a runner were shown Saturday as he finished with 106 yards on the ground and was the top rusher for the Wildcats.

Senior wide receiver Deante Burton possibly had his best day in a K-State uniform. Burton has been plagued by dropped ball issues throughout his time as a Wildcat. He has been much more reliable in his final season and it showed Saturday. Burton made several big catches; a few of them incredibly difficult.

K-State’s offense tends to stall at times, mostly when it gets away from the run for some reason or the run is taken away by the opponent. The Wildcats need to figure out a way to keep rolling so they don’t allow opponents to get back in the game.

Defense

Sophomore cornerback D.J. Reed and junior linebacker Elijah Lee were all over the place, making tackles left and right. Senior defensive end Jordan Willis was held quiet most of the game, but the extra attention he drew from Iowa State allowed other defenders to make more plays.

The defense as a whole struggled in the second half. The Wildcats allowed almost 500 yards of offense to the lowly Cyclones, most of it coming in the second half. However, a win is a win and that’s all that really matters for the team.

Looking ahead

The Wildcats will host Oklahoma State on Saturday. The game will kick off at 2:30 p.m. and will be televised on ABC and ESPN2. Oklahoma State entered the AP Top 25 Sunday after a 37-20 win over then-No. 10 and undefeated West Virginia.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.