Big 12 power rankings: Week 10

0
235
Oklahoma University players celebrate during the football game between OU and K-State on Oct. 17, 2015, in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by George Walker | The Collegian)

1. Oklahoma (6-2) (Last Week: 2) (Next: at Iowa State)

Oklahoma did not do anything super impressive this week, but jumped up to the top spot as a result of West Virginia’s loss. The Sooners obliterated the Jayhawks, 56-3 at their home stadium and will likely cruise to another easy victory this week in Ames, Iowa.

2. Oklahoma State (6-2) (Last Week: 3) (Next: at Kansas State)

The Cowboys faced a tough challenge last week against undefeated West Virginia and took the challenge head-on, coming out on top 37-20. Junior quarterback Mason Rudolph put on a clinic with a 273-yard, three touchdown performance for the win. A trip to Manhattan, Kansas, is next up.

3. West Virginia (6-1) (Last Week: 1) (Next: Kansas)

The Mountaineers were trying to sneak their way into College Football Playoff talk, but a 17-point loss to Oklahoma State has easily derailed those plans. West Virginia is bowl eligible and will get a nice rebound against Kansas this week, but this loss is a tough one to swallow.

4. Baylor (6-1) (Last Week: 4) (Next: TCU)

Baylor walked into Austin, Texas, and faced an upset Texas team that needed a win badly. The Bears got the Longhorns’ best shot, fought back hard, but fell by a mere one point. A loss usually drops teams, but not after a game like that.

5. Kansas State (5-3) (Last Week: 5) (Next: Oklahoma State)

Kansas State walked into Ames, Iowa, and coasted to a 17-3 lead at halftime. It looked like the Wildcats would cruise to victory, but another bad showing in the second half had them hanging on to win 31-26. K-State is talented, but needs to solve those second half issues.

6. Texas (4-4) (Last Week: 7) (Next: at Texas Tech)

The Longhorns’ head coach Charlie Strong is likely coaching for his job at this point and the 35-34 win over Baylor helped his case to stay in the game. Junior running back D’Onta Foreman impressed with 250 yards and two touchdowns on 32 carries.

7. Texas Tech (4-4) (Last Week: 8) (Next: Texas)

The Red Raiders are known for their high-scoring games. So the fact that they only scored 27 points this weekend was shocking. But 27 points was good enough to win in Fort Worth, Texas, over TCU and slide up a spot in the power rankings.

8. TCU (4-4) (Last Week: 6) (Next: at Baylor)

The Horned Frogs needed to play a little defense and take advantage of an abysmal Texas Tech defense to come out on top. They did neither and dropped a home contest, 27-24, in double overtime. TCU is clearly just a mediocre team, at best, this season.

9. Iowa State (1-7) (Last Week: 9) (Next: Oklahoma)

The Cyclones could have laid down and quit after heading to the halftime break down 14 points to K-State, but they didn’t. Iowa State outscored the Wildcats in the second half, 23-14. They fought hard, but the early hole was dug too deep.

10. Kansas (1-7) (Last Week: 10) (Next: at West Virginia)

At this point, what can you really say about Kansas? The Jayhawks were obliterated in Norman, Oklahoma, 56-3. They got just 121 yards through the air and 49 on the ground. KU is bad, but hey, basketball season has arrived.