Men’s golf team finishes 11th in Bridgestone Collegiate

0
37
K-State men's golf team players approach hole six at Colbert Hills during practice on Oct. 1, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The Kansas State men’s golf team finished in 11th place in the Bridgestone Golf Collegiate in Greensboro, North Carolina. The team finished with a 54-hole score of even-par 864.

“It was a disappointing finish for us, especially with the way we started,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “We have shown flashes of what we are capable of, we just have to be more consistent and we have to play with more confidence. We have a good young core, but we just have to keep pushing and keep improving and we will be much better in the spring.”

The Wildcats finished the first day of the tournament tied for seventh place but could not keep up their play thereafter.

The Cats were led by sophomore Jeremy Gandon. Gandon finished in a tie for 19th after a final round of 4-under-par 212.

Freshman Ben Fernandez was the next-best finisher for the Wildcats. He improved 11 spots from the day before to tie for 33rd by posting a 1-under-par 215.

Freshmen Jacob Eklund and Levi Valadez followed Fernandez, as they finished in a tie for 35th and 55th, respectively.

Sophomore Andrew Beckler and junior Trent Evans finished even further back. Beckler finished in 64th and Evans in 80th place.

The team’s next competition will come in the spring at the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate, Feb. 20-21 in Mobile, Alabama.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.