News Briefs: Nov. 2

0
68
(Photo courtesy of Alan LaPolice)

OCTOBER TAX receipts by the state were $12.7 million below the estimate. The tax receipts are $80.4 million below the estimates after the first four months of the fiscal year.

ALAN LAPOLICE, a candidate for the Kansas 1st District in the U.S. House of Representatives, said in a press release that his name will appear first on the ballot of four of 63 counties. The LaPolice press release also says, “State statute requires order of candidates on ballots to be random, allowing no one unfair bias, yet Kansas Ballots do not reflect any randomization.”

A KITCHEN FIRE was extinguished Monday by the Manhattan Fire Department at 926 Bluemont Ave. Apt. 9. The structure suffered $10,000 worth of damage. In a press release, the Manhattan Fire Department said, “Cooking fires remain the leading cause of structure fires nationally and in Manhattan.”

ROAD CONSTRUCTION will close Marlatt Avenue between Brookpointe Circle and Nelson’s Landing to install a storm sewer. The road closure is expected to last six weeks.

THE KANSAS Department of Transportation will resurface K-177 from I-70 to Zeandale Road, reducing the traffic to one lane, one direction at a time. The work will take place during daylight hours Monday-Friday, and will not take place at the same time as K-State home football games. The project is expected to finish in early December.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.