Wildcats face off against TCU

0
16
Junior opposite hitter Bryna Vogel hits the ball during the K-State versus Kansas game in Ahearn Field House on Nov. 2, 2016. (Nathan Jones | The Collegian)

The Kansas State volleyball team will look to rebound after a tough five-set loss to Kansas as the Wildcats travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to face off against the TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday.

The loss to Kansas was the second time this season that the Wildcats took a top-five ranked team to five sets this season.

“I thought we outplayed them at certain points in the match,” head coach Suzie Fritz said to K-State Sports after the match. “I don’t want to take anything away from them, they are a talented team. There was a lot of good volleyball that was played tonight.”

The Jayhawks won the first four points of the final set before eventually winning it 15-11.

“They found a different level,” Fritz said. “I thought we got a little high error and we got a little tentative at the service line. In the end, in the fifth, it came down to serve and pass. They were a little better at it than we were.”

But now the Wildcats turn their attention to TCU, who has struggled this year and is 10-11 overall and 3-8 in Big 12 play while K-State is now 17-7 and 6-5 in conference play.

This will be the final of two meetings between these two teams as K-State won the first matchup in early October in four sets.

In that match, the Wildcats’ offense was clicking, hitting over .300 and getting 71 kills. K-State senior outside hitter Brooke Sassin had 21 kills, junior opposite hitter Bryna Vogel provided 14 and senior middle blocker Katie Reininger contributed with 11.

Lately, it’s been the underclassmen who have been stepping up for K-State. In Wednesday night’s match against Kansas, sophomore outside hitter Kylee Zumach had 14 kills and freshman Elle Sandbothe knotted 10 kills in the losing effort.

It was a big night also for senior setter Katie Brand as she moved into second in the program history leaderboard in assists with 4,586 in her career.

Brand and the Wildcats will try and get back in the winning column on Saturday as they travel south to take on TCU at 5 p.m.