Big 12 power rankings: Week 11

0
150
Oklahoma University defensive lineman Dru Samia holds the line during the football game between OU and K-State on Oct. 17, 2015, in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by George Walker | The Collegian)

1. Oklahoma (7-2) (Last Week: 1) (Next: Baylor)

Looking at the score alone in Oklahoma’s 34-24 victory over Iowa State does not exactly tell the whole story. Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 328 yards and four scores for the win. It’s tough to imagine the motivation was too high for the Sooners this past week.

2. Oklahoma State (7-2) (Last Week: 2) (Next: Texas Tech)

The Cowboys got nothing short of Kansas State’s best this weekend, but squeaked it out at the end, 43-37, thanks to an interception as time expired. Oklahoma State will give its in-state rival a test for the Big 12 Title if the Cowboys keep it up.

3. West Virginia (7-1) (Last Week: 3) (Next: at Texas)

With Kansas as the opponent last week, the Mountaineers cruised to their seventh win. The final score was 48-21, but West Virginia led by as many as 38 points during the game. Winning on the road at Texas could be huge for this program.

4. Kansas State (5-4) (Last Week: 5) (Next: BYE)

A team losing a game and going up one spot in the standings may be a little unheard of, but K-State earned it this weekend. The Wildcats blew a fourth quarter lead and let Oklahoma State throw like crazy but the dominant running game and the fight they put up as well as losses by other teams, was enough to slide them up one.

5. Baylor (6-2) (Last Week: 4) (Next: at Oklahoma)

Losing a game is one thing, but the Bears did not just lose to TCU. They were downright embarrassed, 62-22. Baylor seemed like a team that could contend for a championship in the Big 12, but after that performance, there’s a lot of questions about the chances of that happening.

6. Texas (5-4) (Last Week: 6) (Next: West Virginia)

The Longhorns came out victorious against Texas Tech, 45-37, and junior running back D’Onta Foreman put on a clinic with 341 rushing yards and three touchdowns on the ground. Texas was impressive, but needs to play against a better team before getting any credit.

7. TCU (5-4) (Last Week: 8) (Next: BYE)

TCU seemed like a team that was nothing more than a lower-tier team in the Big 12. The Horned Frogs’ 5-4 record keeps them down toward the bottom, but with a 40-point win over Baylor, they are getting back into top-team talk.

8. Texas Tech (4-5) (Last Week: 7) (Next: at Oklahoma State)

Texas Tech continues to show it has an elite offense behind the play of junior quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who threw for 367 yards and three touchdowns in a loss to Texas. Every week, though, the Red Raiders continue to be handicapped by their poor defense.

9. Iowa State (1-8) (Last Week: 9) (Next: at Kansas)

Week-in and week-out, Iowa State continues to battle hard in its games, but can’t ever seem to get over the hump. The Cyclones trailed Oklahoma by seven in the fourth quarter, but couldn’t overcome the challenge. It seems to be the story of their season.

10. Kansas (1-8) (Last Week: 10) (Next: Iowa State)

Kansas got dismantled by West Virginia this weekend in Morgantown, West Virginia. The game was much worse than the 27-point difference final score. This week is the ultimate battle for ninth and 10th place, though, as the lowly Jayhawks play their fellow one-win opponent Iowa State.