K-State ties for 8th at Trinity Forest Invitational

0
44
Kristi Knight, head coach of women's golf, and junior Katherine Gravel-Coursol fist bump during the Marilynn Smith-Sunflower Invitatoinal at the Colbert Hills Golf Course on Sept. 8, 2015. (File Photo by Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s golf team shot a 27-over-par 315, finishing in a tie for eighth in a 14-team field as the team’s fall season came to a close at the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas, Texas.

The finish showed slight improvement from the Wildcats’ ninth-place finish in the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational at the end of October.

After just one round of play, three Wildcats managed to break the top-20. They rallied behind senior Madison Talley, who tied for sixth place by shooting a 3-over-par, finishing with a 75.

K-State’s young, emerging talent also showed promise. Freshman Tash Carlsson tied for 13th, shooting a 4-over-par 76 in the individual competition and sophomore Chloe Weir finished in 20th with a 5-over-par 77.

“The ladies hung in there today,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports on Monday. “Madison (Talley) and Chloe (Weir) had solid scores. I am proud of the effort and attitude. We are looking forward to tomorrow.”

As for the rest of the Wildcats, junior Connie Jaffrey shot a 9-over-par 81, senior Katherine Gravel-Coursol shot a 10-over-par 82 and senior Paige Nelson shot a 12-over-par 84.

The Wildcats have a long break ahead of them. The next time they tee up will be Feb. 26 for the Westbrook Invitational in Peoria, Arizona.