K-State tennis gears up for fall finale

0
347
Then-junior Iva Bago prepares to serve to her opponent during a women's tennis practice on Oct. 7, 2015. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

After a successful outing at the ITA Regional Championship, the Kansas State tennis team looks to close out the fall season on the right foot today, as the team competes in the San Diego State Fall Classic.

The tournament will consist of two doubles brackets along with four singles draws. K-State and San Diego State will be joined by the University of Arizona, the University of North Texas and UC Irvine.

“All of us are not even near our best tennis shape right now, but we still had a strong showing across the board, which is very encouraging moving forward,” head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports about the ITA Regional Championship.

The Wildcats will try to build off that ITA Regional Championship and head to San Diego with momentum. They are led by a pair of dynamic doubles teams in sophomores Ana Garcia Navas and Millie Stretton along with junior Carolina Costamagna and senior Palma Juhasz.

“We are going into our preseason mode again for the next three weeks before we head out to our final fall tournament,” Steinberg said. “Now will really be the time to push and make progress with each player,”

The Wildcats will have a long break before they head back out on the court in January in Honolulu, Hawaii.