Big 12 power rankings: Week 12

0
143
Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon pushes K-State junior defensive back Jesse Mack aside as he rushes for 11 yards to the 1-yard line as the Sooners continue to advance down the field to their sixth and final touchdown in the fourth quarter of the football game between K-State and Oklahoma on Oct. 17, 2015, in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

1. Oklahoma (8-2) (Last Week: 1) (Next: at West Virginia)

The Sooners squared off against what was believed to be a conference-contender at Baylor. Oklahoma won, 45-24 and looked dominant throughout the game. As we come down to the final stretch of games, it looks like the Sooners are hitting their stride.

2. West Virginia (8-1) (Last Week: 3) (Next: Oklahoma)

West Virginia faced a big test going into Austin, Texas, and came out with a big road win, 24-20. Winning on the road always improves your resume and with multiple losses amongst the nation’s best this weekend, the Mountaineers might be sneaking their way back into College Football Playoff talk.

3. Oklahoma State (8-2) (Last Week: 2) (Next: at TCU)

It’s hard to fault a team and drop it a spot after a win. But with that said, a 45-44 win over the lowly Texas Tech Red Raiders hurts Oklahoma State. The Cowboys did a nice job of taking advantage of the Red Raiders’ defense. But a better defensive showing for Oklahoma State would’ve been more comforting.

4. Kansas State (5-4) (Last Week: 4) (Next: at Baylor)

Kansas State took the week off with a bye. The Wildcats might be a little better than their 5-4 record indicates, and we will soon find out at Baylor on Saturday.

5. Texas (5-5) (Last Week: 6) (Next: at Kansas)

The Longhorns battled hard against West Virginia and got a nice outing from freshman quarterback Shane Buechele, who threw for 318 yards and a touchdown. Yet it just was not enough to overcome the Mountaineers. Texas showed some reasons for optimism, though, moving forward.

6. Baylor (6-3) (Last Week: 5) (Next: Kansas State)

Baylor suffered not just the loss on the scoreboard to Oklahoma, but also a loss at quarterback when senior Seth Russell left the game due to a leg injury. Baylor confirmed on Sunday that Russell will be out for the rest of the regular season, which doesn’t bode well for the Bears.

7. TCU (5-4) (Last Week: 7) (Next: Oklahoma State)

Needing just one win to be bowl eligible, the bye week might have came at the perfect time for TCU. We will find out when the Horned Frogs host Oklahoma State on Saturday.

8. Texas Tech (4-6) (Last Week: 8) (Next: at Iowa State)

Texas Tech is running out of time to earn a spot in a bowl game and the one-point loss to Oklahoma State did not help the situation. The Red Raiders now have to win out to be bowl eligible. They’ll likely beat Iowa State on Saturday, but a matchup with Baylor will probably determine the end result.

9. Iowa State (2-8) (Last Week: 9) (Next: Texas Tech)

Two 1-8 teams went to Lawrence, Kansas, on Saturday, but only one left with a win. Congratulations, Iowa State. You finally won a Big 12 game. Even against the Jayhawks, the Cyclones showed they still have some huge problems. The season’s end can’t come soon enough in Ames, Iowa.

10. Kansas (1-9) (Last Week: 10) (Next: Texas)

The Jayhawks showed improvement throughout the game against Iowa State, but collapsed near the end and could not get the job done. Just two games remain in football season for Kansas, but nobody really cares anymore because basketball started last week.