Wildcats prepare to take on Nebraska-Omaha

0
56
Sophomore guard Barry Brown looks for an open spot to pass during the K-State game against Washburn in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 4, 2016. (File Photo by Nathan Jones | The Collegian)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team is set to face the University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks tonight in Bramlage Coliseum.

K-State is coming off a fairly easy 82-55 win against Western Illinois. The trio of freshman forward Xavier Sneed, sophomore guard Barry Brown and senior forward Wesley Iwundu led the Wildcats.

Brown carried the offense in the first half with 11 points on 4-of-8 shooting when the team was struggling to put the ball through the hoop early on. He finished with 18 points.

Sneed and Iwundu both finished with 17 points and looked impressive at times. The Wildcats shot the ball well, especially from the 3-point line.

“We have more guys that can shoot it,” head coach Bruce Weber said. “I think the biggest key was, they were open 3s. When we move the ball and work it, and I have told you we are versatile, we have a lot of versatile pieces and when you do that (keep moving the ball and getting open shots) we have the guys that are going to make them. And I do not think there is any doubt about that.”

The Mavericks will be playing their third game in four days to start the season. Nebraska-Omaha started the season with a win against UC Santa Barbara on Saturday and then fell to USC on Sunday.

The Mavericks actually held a lead over USC for most of the game before fading away late. They have been led so far this season by senior guard Marcus Tyus and junior forward Tre’Shawn Thurman. Tyus has averaged 21 points in their two contests, including a 33-point outing against USC. Thurman is averaging 17 points and nine rebounds a game.

The Wildcats and Mavericks will tip off at 7 p.m.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.