News Briefs: Nov. 16

0
187

SEN. BARBARA BOXER, a Democrat from California, said in a statement Tuesday that she would introduce a bill aimed at eliminating the electoral college in favor of a popular vote presidential election, according to CNN.

ZACH BURTON, a Manhattan area developer and owner of Fieldhouse Development, was sentenced to 32 months in prison Tuesday for sexual relations with a female student who was younger than 18. Burton was the assistant basketball coach and a substitute teacher at Riley County High School, WIBW reported. Burton was a backup quarterback at K-State before graduating in 1999.

WICHITA STATE University’s Student Government Association President Joseph Shepard and other student leaders sent a series of letters to Kansas Board of Regents President Blake Flanders last month detailing their concerns with university administration and specifically President John Bardo, according to the Sunflower. “I think it is important for you to know that we are living in a culture of fear here at Wichita State University,” Shepard wrote. “There are students, faculty and staff afraid to speak up because they’re fearful that they will be fired, alienated or unjustly stripped of an opportunity to continue their education.”

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.