K-State rides first half three-point success to 22 point win over Hampton

0
83
Wesley Iwundu, senior forward guards the ball at the Kansas State vs. Omaha game at Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 15th, 2016. (Kelly Pham | The Collegian)

Excellent outside shooting in the first half propelled K-State (3-0) passed Hampton (1-2) 89-67. The Wildcats had four players in double figures including a tied career high for senior forward Wesley Iwundu.

Offense

K-State was unconscious in the first half from beyond the arc. Five different Wildcats went 9-12 from three. The Wildcats only made three more three balls in the second half. The 12 made threes were the most for K-State since 2013.

While it was nothing but success from beyond the arc, life was hard for K-State from the charity stripe. K-State missed 10 free throws in the first half and 17 in the game, something that kept Hampton within spitting distance until midway through the second half.

The Wildcats turned the ball over 15 times including 8 in the first half.

Four Wildcats finished in double including senior forward Wesley Iwundu (23), sophomore guard Barry Brown (16), freshman forward Xavier Sneed (15) and sophomore guard Kamau Stokes (13). Sophomore forward Dean Wade also played some important minutes, recording 8 points while grabbing a game-high eight boards.

Defense

After a brief spurt of trading three point balls early in the first half, K-State defense locked down and was able to create some separation. It wasn’t until the second half though where K-State put the game out of reach, forcing 12 second half turnovers that K-State turned into 14 points.

Brown led the team in steals with 5 while four Wildcats recorded a block.

Only five Pirates scored in double figures: Jermaine Morrow (15) and Lawrence Cooks (10).

Player of the Game

Wesley Iwundu continues to lead a team of mostly underclassmen putting up a game-high 23 points to go along with six rebounds and three assists. It was the third time in his four seasons at K-State that he’s scored 23 points, a career high.

Iwundu also came through big defensively as well. After leading Hampton with 14 points in the first half, Jermaine Marrow got the clamps put on him by Iwundu, only allowing one more point in the entire second half.

Quote of the Game

“This is championship week. We’ve got four games this week, two at home and two in Brooklyn. It’s a good test, you have to prepare for this week, To be ready for whatever they throw at us, to be ready to play four games this week and to have the conditioning. We’ll see.”

-Bruce Weber

“I do consider myself a leader. I have been through the good and bad this past four years so I just want to stay on the good right now and keep being the older guy. I want to be mature and keep pulling everyone in a good position to be successful this year and have a good year.”

-Wesley Iwundu

Up Next

K-State has one last home game versus Robert Morris before heading to Brooklyn to play Boston College on and the winner of Maryland/Richmond at the Barclays Center Classic this weekend. .

Timothy Everson
Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.