Big 12 power rankings: Week 13

0
383
Oklahoma State players sing their alma mater after OSU's 43-37 win over K-State in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Nov. 5, 2016. (File Photo by Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

1. Oklahoma (9-2) (Last Week: 1) (Next: BYE)

In a game that had big implications on the Big 12 Championship race, Oklahoma blasted the doors off of West Virginia by taking a 34-7 lead into the halftime break, before cruising to a 56-28 win. If the Sooners can win the Bedlam Series in two weeks, they’ll win another Big 12 title.

2. Oklahoma State (9-2) (Last Week: 3) (Next: BYE)

Behind 154 rushing yards from freshman running back Justice Hill and 146 from senior running back Chris Carson, Oklahoma State won at TCU, 31-6, to stay in a fight for the conference championship. It all comes down to the Cowboys’ matchup with the Sooners to decide it.

3. West Virginia (8-2) (Last Week: 2) (Next: at Iowa State)

For as embarrassing as West Virginia’s 28-point loss to Oklahoma may look on paper, West Virginia is still a good team. A second Big 12 loss puts the Mountaineers out of contention for the conference title, but they’ll have an easier game with Iowa State and then a struggling Baylor team to potentially play in a solid bowl game.

4. Kansas State (6-4) (Last Week: 4) (Next: Kansas)

For the seventh-straight year, the Wildcats are going bowling after a 42-21 beatdown of Baylor in Waco, Texas. Kansas State got 129 yards and four touchdowns on the ground from redshirt freshman Alex Barnes, which could be a big factor as the team looks to increase its bowl standings with two games left.

5. TCU (5-5) (Last Week: 7) (Next: at Texas)

Not very often can you lose a game 31-6 and slide up two spots in the standings, but TCU did just that this week, mainly due to the results of those before them. If the Horned Frogs can win one of their last two, a bowl game would be quite a way to finish this mess of a season.

6. Baylor (6-4) (Last Week: 6) (Next: Texas Tech in Arlington)

Baylor has quit on this season. Simple as that. After taking a 14-7 lead over K-State to halftime, the Bears laid down and gave it up. Baylor is bowl eligible and you’d like to think it will accept a bid. But with the program’s current state, anything is possible.

7. Texas (5-6) (Last Week: 5) (Next: TCU)

In the Big 12 there are good teams, there are bad teams and then there is Kansas. The Jayhawks are the bottom feeders of Big 12 football, and Texas lost to them, 24-21. It was a downright embarrassing game that will likely cost head coach Charlie Strong his job.

8. Iowa State (3-8) (Last Week: 9) (Next: West Virginia)

Perhaps Iowa State is not as bad as we thought. Then again, a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. The Cyclones clobbered Texas Tech, 66-10 behind 285 yards and two touchdowns from sophomore quarterback Jacob Park. Nice win, but it’s too little, too late for Iowa State.

9. Kansas (2-9) (Last Week: 10) (Next: at Kansas State)

Kansas is slowly showing signs of improvement and its upset over Texas was a culmination of those signs finally paying off. The Jayhawks are not about to be bowl contenders, but head coach David Beaty might have their program on the right track.

10. Texas Tech (4-7) (Last Week: 8) (Next: Baylor in Arlington)

Harsh to drop Texas Tech below Kansas and Iowa State? Probably. But it’s also harsh to lose to Iowa State 66-10. The Red Raiders do not have a good defense, but as one of the more explosive offenses in the conference, 10 points is an embarrassment and enough to drop you big time.