K-State women’s basketball set to face Auburn in SEC/Big 12 Challenge

0
54
Senior guard Kindred Wesemann defends the basket during the K-State game against Washburn in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 4, 2016. (File Photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team is set to face No. 23 Auburn tonight in Bramlage Coliseum as part of the SEC/Big 12 Challenge.

K-State has gotten off to a hot start for the second straight season under head coach Jeff Mittie. The Wildcats competed in the Paradise Jam Classic over Thanksgiving break and won the Island Division after winning all three of their contests.

The Wildcats have been successful due to their stifling defense. K-State ranks first in the nation in field goal percentage defense. The Cats have held opponents to just 28 percent from the field. They are also third in the nation in scoring defense. They’ve allowed just 47 points per game.

Offensively, K-State is led by the senior duo of guard Kindred Wesemann and center Breanna Lewis. Wesemann averages 15.8 points a game and Lewis averages 13.8 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. Wesemann was named the MVP of the Paradise Jam Island Division and Lewis was named to the All-Tournament Team.

The Wildcats will rely on those two seniors as they face a tough Auburn team. The Tigers are 6-1 this season, with their only loss coming to No. 19 West Virginia.

Auburn is led by preseason All-SEC Second Team pick and senior guard Brandy Montgomery. Montgomery averages 16.1 points per game and scored 28 points in the team’s last outing against Indiana.

K-State and Auburn are set to tip off at 7:30 p.m.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.