K-State men’s basketball ready for first true road test

0
198
Freshman forward Xavier Sneed dunks a basket during the K-State game against Green Bay in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 30, 2016. (Miranda Snyder| The Collegian)

The Wildcats will head to St. Louis, Missouri, to take on the St. Louis Billikens in their first true road game of the season Saturday night.

Road games are something the Wildcats shouldn’t take lightly. Kansas State has gone 5-26 on the road over the past three seasons. Losses in that timespan include Long Beach State, Texas Tech and TCU. Those are teams that are not exactly known for their basketball excellence.

But the Wildcats hope to turn the page on their road difficulties this season. Their experience in Brooklyn, New York, at the Barclays Center Classic gave them some experience in a hostile environment.

“It wasn’t a true road game on Saturday but they had about 5,000 fans and we probably had 500 or 300 so it was loud,” head coach Bruce Weber said. “That was definitely a road type atmosphere that we had, and I thought we reacted pretty well. Now we’ll see what happens.”

The game will be a homecoming of sorts for senior forward D.J. Johnson and freshman guard Xavier Sneed. Sneed said while it will nice to be home, they still need to be prepared.

“It’s very nice to see family and friends of course,” Sneed said. “But like I said we still got to go there and play hard. It’s going to be our first official away game so we have got to be prepared.”

The Wildcats’ opponent, St. Louis (2-4), has struggled in its first season under new head coach Travis Ford. The Billikens most recently lost 68-64 to Samford at home on Wednesday.

They are led by sophomore guard Jermaine Bishop and junior guard Davell Roby. Bishop and Roby both average 12.2 points per game, which is tops on their team. The duo has shot the ball well this season, especially from behind the 3-point line, where they shoot over 40 percent from.

The Wildcats and Billikens will tip off at 7 p.m. The game can be seen on Fox Sports Midwest Plus.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.