K-State women’s basketball prepares for tough test against UT-Arlington

0
116
Senior guard Kindred Wesemann shoots the ball during the K-State game against Auburn in Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 1, 2016. (File Photo by Maddie Domnick | The Collegian)

Kansas State women’s head basketball coach Jeff Mittie just became one of 29 active coaches with 500 wins after the Wildcats’ win over Omaha, Sunday.

A win tonight would move the team into even more elite company.

The Wildcats are scheduled to take on the UT-Arlington Lady Mavericks tonight in Bramlage Coliseum. If they’re able to win, it would be win number 900 for the program.

Only 19 other schools in Division I have 900 wins and Texas is the only other Big 12 program to accomplish that feat.

They include elite programs, iconic ones even fans of sports other than women’s basketball might be familiar with. Like Tennessee, whose former head coach Pat Summitt won more games in her career than any college basketball coach in men’s or women’s basketball. They also include teams like the University of Connecticut, the No.1 team in the nation who is riding high amid an 82-game winning streak.

The 900-win club also includes schools that maybe non-basketball fans haven’t heard of, like Old Dominion, Stephen F. Austin and James Madison, all of which have over 1,000 wins since their programs were created.

That’s the type of company the Wildcats program stands to enter with if they win tonight.

It won’t likely be easy for Kansas State to secure the win, however. UT-Arlington is no cupcake or Division II program. While neither team is ranked, the teams are statistically evenly-matched so far this season.

As of Dec. 1, the Lady Mavericks were averaging 72 points per game, while the Wildcats were averaging 71. K-State was shooting about 46 percent from the floor, while the Lady Mavericks were shooting about 43. K-State was shooting approximately 26 percent from 3-point range, while UT-Arlington was shooting about 33 percent.

A win tonight, however, would continue another trend the Wildcats have maintained this season unlike any season since 2008: winning.

The Wildcats, currently with an 8-0 record, are off to their best start since 2008, when they went 14-0 before losing to No. 3 Oklahoma in Norman.

A win by K-State tonight and by No. 1 UConn over No. 2 Notre Dame, could position the teams for the sold-out battle royal Sunday.

The Wildcats tipoff against the Lady Mavericks at 7 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum.

Shelton Burch
Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.