News Briefs: Dec. 7

0
162

PRESIDENT GEN. RICHARD Myers’ salary is $500,000, a raise from the $360,000 salary he received as interim president. The Topeka Capital-Journal reported that Myers’ letter of appointment, which was released Thursday by the Kansas Board of Regents, states $156,250 of the salary comes from the KSU Foundation. Myers will also be provided with two university vehicles and a membership to the Manhattan Country Club from the Foundation. Myers’ deferred compensation package is also funded by the Foundation. Myers will receive university funds to cover moving expenses from his Virginia home to the president’s residence on campus.

WATER AND SEWER rates both increased by 3 percent, effective Jan. 1, 2017, after final approval from the Manhattan City Commission Tuesday. A 10-year 0.2 percent sales tax increase was introduced.

THE KANSAS LEGISLATURE chose new leaders Monday, including Rep. Tom Phillips of Manhattan. The leadership of the Legislature is, according to KCUR: House Speaker Ron Ryckman, House Majority Leader Don Hineman, Assistant House Majority Leader Tom Phillips, Speaker Pro Tempore Scott Schwab, House Minority Leader Jim Ward, Assistant House Minority Leader Stan Frownfelter, Senate President Susan Wagle, Senate Vice President Jeff Longbine, Senate Majority Leader Jim Denning, Assistant Senate Majority Leader Vicki Schmidt, Senate Minority Leader Anthony Hensley and Assistant Senate Minority Leader Laura Kelly.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.