Collegian Q&A: Kindred Wesemann

0
426
Kindred Wesemann, senior guard, goes up for the shot during the K-State game against Tulsa in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 14, 2016. (File Photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

Kindred Wesemann, senior guard for the Kansas State women’s basketball team, is also 2016 Big 12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year, as well as five-time Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll inductee.

Those aren’t the only things in her trophy case, as Wesemann has received numerous awards and honors, named 2016 All-Big 12 Second Team and also 2014 Big 12 Academic All-Rookie Team.

Wesemann shared some insight on what it’s like to be a Division I basketball player here at K-State.

Where is your hometown and how supportive is your community of your athletic success?

KW: “I am from Pleasant Hill, Missouri, and my community is very supportive of my athletic success. Every time I go home and go to sporting events, everyone says hi to me and asks about my season and my team.”

Who is your rock on the team?

KW: “Shaelyn Martin is my best friend on the team, roommate and will be the maid of honor at my wedding.”

How would you describe playing in Bramlage?

KW: “We have hands down the best fan support in the Big 12 for women’s basketball.”

What keeps you motivated?

KW: “The young girls keep me motivated because they all want to wear 24 just like me and play basketball in college. My family has supported me throughout my entire college career. They have sacrificed so much for me to live out my dreams and I just want to do everything I can do to repay them.”

How would you describe in three words what it is like to be a college-level athlete?

KW: “Hard work, dedication and a truly humbling experience.”

What are your pregame rituals?

KW: “I stay at the gym after our pregame meal and listen to music until the game starts, I pick a song that I am feeling that day and repeat it until game time … I am always the first one in the locker room.”

What is your favorite thing about K-State?

KW: “My favorite part about K-State is the family atmosphere, the support that everyone has for each other is limitless. I love Manhattan.”