Wildcats fall in 84th-straight win for UConn

0
200
Kindred Wesemann, senior guard, defends the basket during the K-State game against Washburn in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 4, 2016. (File photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

The Kansas State Wildcats women’s basketball team fell to 9-1 Sunday, losing 75-58 to the No. 1 ranked Connecticut Huskies.

Senior center Breanna Lewis led the Wildcats with 18 points, seven rebounds and four blocks. Junior guard Karyla Middlebrook had 11 points as well.

Huskies sophomore guard Katie Lou Samuelson led all scorers with 26 points and sophomore forward Naphessa Collier had 22 points and eight rebounds.

Offense

The Wildcats were absolutely suffocated offensively in the first quarter. They were held to 0-3 from 3-point range and to 4-15 from the floor. At the same time, UConn went 10-16 and 4-7 from 3-point range. The combination of the two caused K-State to fall behind 25-8 by the end of the first quarter.

The Wildcats played better in the second quarter, outscoring the Huskies 23-20, but after the 17-0 run the Huskies finished the first quarter on, the gap was simply too much. The Wildcats shot 60 percent, 40 percent and 33 percent in the final three quarters, but ultimately came up short.

Defense

Nothing much worked for the Wildcats in quarter one. Samuelson ate the Wildcats defense alive, helping jump-start the Huskies offense. She rained 3-pointer after 3-pointer and helped the Huskies start moving the ball offensively. She never cooled down, ending up 10-21 from the floor and 6-13 from 3-point range.

The saving grace for the Wildcats was that after allowing UConn 20 or more points in each of the first three quarters, they held the Huskies to just 10 in the final frame, actually outscoring them 11-10 in the fourth quarter.

Quote of the night

“The last three quarters, the way we competed was much much better, and the way we executed. ‘Playing hard’ is an expectation. You have to execute. You have to make plays. You have to go do those things as well. ‘Playing hard’ just doesn’t get it. Everybody thinks ‘well, we’ll just go play hard.’ No, no you have to do the other things and we did some good things in that area today.”

– K-State Head Coach Jeff Mittie.

Up Next

The K-State Wildcats have a week off before they play Princeton next Sunday at 1 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum.

Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.