K-State women’s basketball comes back against Princeton

0
122
Kindred Wesemann, senior guard, goes up for the shot during the K-State game against Tulsa in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 14, 2016. (File Photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

The Kansas State Wildcats women’s basketball team earned its 10th win of the season Sunday, beating Princeton 60-42 in its last nonconference home game of the season.

It was probably more of a “survival” than a “beating.”

For the second straight game, the Wildcats fell behind in the first quarter, trailing 13-8 by the end of it, and stayed behind in the second quarter as they entered the half trailing 22-25. Unlike against No. 1 Connecticut a week earlier, the Wildcats were able to come back and win.

Senior guard Kindred Wesemann was a major reason. She led all scorers with 15 points, and added five rebounds. Junior forward Kaylee Page was another major reason, contributing 12 points and seven rebounds.

Offense

K-State played rough in the first half, only shooting 24 percent from the floor and going 2 of 12 from 3-point range. Princeton’s defense matched them on the boards, the Wildcats managed 11 offensive rebounds to 11 defensive ones by the Tigers.

In the second half, the Wildcats started to bring it together.

K-State’s third quarter was the primary reason the Wildcats won Sunday. They shot 60 percent from the field, 50 percent from 3-point range, and outscored Princeton 20-9 in the third quarter. Compounding that, the Wildcats held Princeton’s offense to 2 of 9 shooting and 0 of 4 from 3-point range. The Wildcats’ offense cooled down in the fourth as they dropped to 38 percent shooting, but the 12-1 run they made in the third helped them build the cushion they needed to keep holding the Tigers at bay.

Defense

Princeton used fast rotations to break down K-State’s defense, and held off K-State thanks to 3-pointers and strong rebounding. Offensively, the Tigers had 10 rebounds to Wildcats’ 10 defensive, showing their offensive rebounding matched up against K-State’s defensive. They also capitalized on those rebounds, getting 13 second chance points. K-State, by contrast, only had nine second-chance points in the first half.

In the second half, Princeton’s lack of offense started to affect their defense, but so did K-State’s improving defense. The Wildcats blocked three Tigers’ shots and forced them into 13 turnovers.

Quote of the night

I think we’re pretty fortunate to be victorious today. There wasn’t a whole lot that we did well today.”

– K-State head coach Jeff Mittie

Up Next

The Wildcats close nonconference play Thursday against the Northern Iowa Panthers in Cedar Falls, Iowa at 7 p.m.

Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.