Quick start helps K-State to victory over Oklahoma

0
388
A fan holds a sign during K-State men's basketball's win against No. 1 Oklahoma on February 6, 2016 in Bramlage Coliseum. (File photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

After losing such a close game last Tuesday night against Kansas in the fashion that it did, the Kansas State men’s basketball team was ready to get back on the court, and it showed. K-State came out of the gates hot and never looked back in the 75-64 victory over Oklahoma Saturday afternoon in Bramlage Coliseum.

Offense

K-State played with energy from the get-go and got off to a very hot start. They pulled ahead 25-9 midway through the first half, 12 of those points coming from the three-point line. The Wildcats also got out on the break often and coasted to a 43-27 lead at halftime.

The second half was a different story. It was Oklahoma that came out of the break full of energy and confidence. The Sooners went on a quick 7-0 run to start the half, instantly trimming K-State’s lead to nine. However, the Wildcats picked up their play and kept the lead around 10 for the rest of the game.

It was another very balanced showing from K-State as all five starters scored in double digits for the second straight game. Sophomore guard Barry Brown and senior forward Wesley Iwundu took over down the stretch to keep the Wildcats in front. Brown finished with 14 points and Iwundu was the Wildcats’ leading scorer with 16 points.

Defense

K-State consistently got stops in the first half, which led to the team getting out on the break. They held Oklahoma to just 27 points on 38.5 percent shooting in the first half.

The Wildcats couldn’t match the Sooners’ intensity in the second half. Oklahoma got off to a quick start and was able to trim the lead down. Freshman guard Kameron McGusty was a big reason why. He scored 11 points in the second half and finished with 20. However, K-State was able to force a few turnovers and got some stops toward the end that ended any chance of a comeback from Oklahoma.

Player of the Game

Wesley Iwundu

When Oklahoma threatened to make it a game in the second half, it was Iwundu who took over. Iwundu took control of the offense in the last few minutes and made sure the Wildcats were victorious. His all-around play was apparent as Iwundu racked up five assists, three rebounds and two steals to go along with his 16 points.

Quote of the Game

“Coach Weber said ‘let our actions show how we felt about last game,’ and I think especially the first 10 minutes we did a good job of doing that.”

-Iwundu

Up Next

K-State will head to Lubbock, Texas to take on Texas Tech Tuesday at 8:15 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPNews.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.