Wildcats win shoot-out against Cowboys

0
122
Senior forward Wesley Iwundu takes on the Baylor defense during the K-State game against Baylor in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 14, 2017. (Nathan Jones | The Collegian)

There was no lack of offense on Wednesday night as the K-State men’s basketball team defeated Oklahoma State 96-88 inside Gallagher-Iba Arena.

The win gave the Wildcats their second true road win of the season and their first in Big 12 play. K-State is now 14-4 and 3-3 in Big 12 play.

“Winning on the road is never easy and we made some dumb decisions late in the game,” head coach Bruce Weber said after the game. “This past 10 days has been tough and we couldn’t change any of it. I was glad to see our guys come back and get a win tonight.”

The Wildcats shot over 56 percent and hit seven 3’s in the win while the Cowboys shot 45 percent and hit 12 3’s.

“Our guys just kept driving to the rim off ball screens and it was really working tonight,” Weber said. “That’s the way Oklahoma State plays, but we made a lot of good plays too. We had lots of assists and we forced them to 19 turnovers so our defense wasn’t that bad.”

K-State was led in scoring by sophomore guard Barry Brown, who had 22 points, and senior forward D.J. Johnson provided 18 as five Wildcats finished in double figures.

“Our starters played very well and the guys coming off the bench played good too,” Weber said. “Barry played really well, but I think this was a team win and lots of guys stepped up for us.”

Senior forward Wesley Iwundu had 15 points, eight rebounds and eight assists in the winning effort. He made two free throws down the stretch to extend the lead and put the game on ice.

“I knew and had faith in myself that I could put the game away there,” Iwundu said. “I just cleared my mind and knocked them down.”

The win was K-State’s first in Stillwater, Oklahoma in five seasons as their last win on the road against the Cowboys was on January 12, 2012.

“We had been so close on the road and to get a win is great,” Weber said. “If you have a good attitude good things will happen, and our guys just keep playing with heart.”

The Wildcats will return home to face a tough West Virginia team on Saturday at 5 p.m. The Mountaineers lost on Wednesday night at home against Oklahoma 89-87 in overtime.

“We have got to take care of business at home,” Weber said. “It’s always nice to get a road win, but we’ve got to come back and play another good game against a very good West Virginia team.”