K-State student accidentally shoots self in residence hall

A Kansas State student suffered an “accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound” in an on-campus residence hall on the evening of Jan. 22, according to a 10:55 p.m. K-State Today Special Alert, which was sent to all students.

According to the alert, the student is in stable condition and was transported for medical treatment. The name of the student or the residence hall in which the shooting took place has not yet been released.

K-State Police responded to the alert and there is no ongoing threat to the university.

Firearms, BB guns, ammunition and other weapons are not allowed in campus buildings or on-campus residence halls, according to K-State Housing and Dining’s Family Resource Guide and the University Weapons Policy.

As previously reported by the Collegian, concealed carry will be permitted on campus effective July 1, 2017. No on-campus location will be labeled as “prohibiting concealed carry with permanent adequate security measures.”

Click here to read the Collegian’s update on the accidental shooting.

Kaitlyn Alanis
Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!