K-State track and field complete good weekend in New Mexico

0
136
Senior sprinter Kaneil Harrison runs the 400 meter dash at the DeLoss Dodds Invitational at Ahearn Field House on Jan. 21, 2017. (File photo by Maddie Domnick | The Collegian)

In a dramatic finish, the Kansas State women’s indoor track and field team came back to win the New Mexico Team Invitational on Saturday in the Albuquerque Convention Center, narrowly edging out host New Mexico.

The Wildcat women were down two points heading into the final event, the 4×400-meter relay and finished second in the race for a final score of 114, just two points ahead of the Lobos.

The K-State men’s team finished with a score of 78 points, which was good enough for sixth in the invitational.

“I thought our women did a really nice job of competing,” director of track and field and cross country Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Sports. “They were able to win the meet and we had no entries over 400 meters. On the men’s side, I thought the guys competed well for the most part. A couple of guys had personal bests as well.”

The Wildcats showed nicely in the women’s long jump as junior Claudette Allen had a personal best at 6.20 meters and freshman Ariel Okorie jumped a person best at 5.90 meters.

In the men’s triple jump, freshman Javier Lowe finished in second with 15.45 meters and fellow freshman Angelo Gordon ended in third at 14.78 meters.

Sophomore Shardia Lawrence had a great meet with a personal best triple jump of 13.34 meters, which moved her into third in the school’s all-time list.

It was senior Janee’ Kassanvoid who won her fifth meet this season in the weight throw as she threw 20.02 meters, while freshman Helene Ingvaldsen finished in second with a throw of 19.76 meters.

Also winning his fifth straight meet, senior Brady Grunder won the weight throw with a mark of 20.42 meters.

With a season best time of 21.05 seconds, junior Terrell Smith won the 200-meter dash and his third event this season.

The Wildcats will return to action on Feb. 3 and 4 when they travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to compete in the Sevigne Husker Invitational at the Bob Devaney Sports Center.