K-State pentathlon athlete wins Big 12 Athlete of the Week

0
65
Freshman Nina Schultz throws shot put at the DeLoss Dodds Invitational at Ahearn Field House on Jan. 20, 2017. (File photo by Maddie Domnick | The Collegian)

Freshman pentathlon athlete Nina Schultz was named Big 12 Track and Field Athlete of the Week on Monday after her big performance in the Sevign Husker Invitational track and field meet over the weekend.

Schultz won the pentathlon and finished the event with a total score of 4,271. Her score is the best one recorded in the Big 12 this season, as well as the third best score so far this season in Division I. It is also the third best pentathlon score in K-State history. It is Schultz’s first ever weekly Big 12 award, and the first time a K-State track and field athlete has won the award since Akela Jones did more than a year ago.

“A score like that for a true freshman, let alone a kid that is 18 years old, is pretty good,” director of track and field and cross country Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Sports. “We knew she was pretty good, but she might be better than what we thought she was.”

Schultz’s performance was one of three first place finishes for the K-State track and field team at the Invitational.

The team returns to action next Friday as the team splits to go to two different competitions. Part of the team will head to Ames, Iowa, for the Iowa State Classic, and the rest of the team will travel to Fayetteville, Arkansas, for the Tyson Invitational.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.