K-State tennis seeking fifth consecutive victory

0
69
Sophomore Ana Garcia Navas congratulates her teammate, sophomore Mille Stretton, on making a big play to win their fifth set over the South Dakota Coyotes on Jan. 21, 2017. (File Photo by Regan Tokos | The Collegian)

The Kansas State tennis team welcomes the Missouri Tigers today, seeking their fifth consecutive home victory at the Body First Indoor Tennis Center or, weather permitting, the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium, with action hitting off at 2:30 p.m.

K-State is coming off two victories last weekend, defeating Missouri State and the University of Connecticut 7-0 and 6-1 respectively.

“We are coming off four home wins in which we played better and better in each one of them,” head coach Danielle Steinberg told K-State Sports. “So I think the team is confident and excited to welcome Mizzou to town. Last year’s match at Missouri was a tough loss for us, so I think we have something to prove to ourselves going into Friday.”

During last year’s matchup, the Wildcats started off well against Missouri. However, the Tigers managed to fight back, claiming all three-set matches, to take a victory over the Wildcats 5-2.

Missouri is off to a strong start so far this season at 3-1, coming to Manhattan on a two-match winning streak. The Tigers are no strangers to playing away from home; all four matches they’ve competed in have been on the road.

The Wildcats will look to slow down Missouri senior Bea Santos, who was named Second Team All-SEC last year. Their young talent has also shined early this season with freshmen Tate Schroeder and Mackenzy Middlebrooks both earning victories in singles competition. They carried the Tigers to a victory over Brigham Young University 4-3 in their previous match.

K-State’s junior Carolina Costamagna and senior Livia Cirnu have each managed to stay perfect in singles competition during the Wildcat’s home stand and will look to keep the streak alive.

Despite not winning a doubles match against Missouri last year, K-State sophomores Millie Stretton and Ana Garcia Navas are determined to change that this year. The two have caught fire early this season and will look to increase their four-match win streak.

After this match, the Wildcats will hit the road to Denton, Texas, where they are set to take on North Texas on Feb. 17, followed by Washington State on Feb. 18.