K-State head football coach Bill Snyder diagnosed with cancer

1
746
Bill Snyder won his 200th game as the head football coach of K-State at the 2016 Sunflower Showdown football game between K-State and KU in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Nov. 26. (Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

Kansas State head football coach Bill Snyder announced Monday morning that he has been diagnosed with throat cancer.

According to a news release issued by K-State, Snyder has been receiving treatment for about three weeks at the KU Medical Center in Kansas City and is “getting along very well.”

Snyder said the doctors have projected a positive outcome and that he expects to be back and ready to coach spring practices in March.

“Both ‘teams’ have projected a positive outcome and have worked out a schedule that allows me to be in Kansas City for my regular treatments and still be back in the office on a regular basis through the first week of March,” Snyder said. “Sean, along with our coaching and support staffs, remain highly productive in carrying out their responsibilities keeping us on track.”

Snyder thanked K-State president Richard Myers as well as athletic director John Currie and many others who have reached out to him in the past few days as news about his health issues spread.

“I greatly appreciate our President, Richard Myers, and Athletic Director, John Currie, for their continued support, and I’m very grateful to those who have responded over the past 24 hours via calls, texts, emails, etc., with such kind thoughts and words,” Snyder said. “And again, my apology to each of you whom I did not have the opportunity to reach personally before this release.

“As I’ve said so often: we came to Kansas State University because of the people, we stayed because of the people and we came back because of you, the people. Nothing has changed.”

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.