K-State baseball wins three of four in Florida

0
221
Then-junior first baseman Jake Scudder gets up after sliding to second base in the baseball game between the University of Texas and K-State on Saturday, April 9, 2016, at Tointon Family Stadium. (File Photo George Walker | The Collegain)

The Kansas State baseball team started their season off well this weekend in Florida. The Wildcats won their final three games of the Sunshine State Classic Series after dropping the opener to Ohio State on Friday.

The Wildcats defeated Pittsburgh, Delaware and then finished the classic off by beating Ohio State in their second game on Sunday afternoon.

In game one, K-State fell 6-3 as sophomore right-handed pitcher Bryce Ward started the season on the hill for the Wildcats. Eight Wildcats had a hit in the first game of the season and the K-State pitching staff sat down 12 Buckeyes via the strikeout.

“Not exactly the outcome we were looking for,” head coach Brad Hill said to K-State Sports. “But I felt we got better as the game wore on. Guys settled down and played ball. We got hits and we just didn’t get the hits at the right times. We weren’t able to string hits together and that ended up being the difference.”

It was also a good first outing for freshman right-handed pitcher Jared Marolf, who threw four scoreless innings and struck out six batters in the debut.

“Jared (Marolf) gave us just what we needed,” Hill added. “He stopped the bleeding and gave us a chance to get back into it. Those four innings he gave us were big.”

On Saturday, the Wildcats swept the two games they played against the Panthers and the Blue Hens.

In game one, Pittsburgh had a 2-0 lead, but the Wildcats came back for a 5-4 win. Seniors infielder Quintin Crandall and outfiedler Steve Serratore both had home runs in the winning effort.

K-State senior left-handed pitcher Jordan Floyd collected his first save of the season as he held the Panthers down to secure the Wildcats their first win of the season.

Game two was all Wildcats as they defeated Delaware 7-0. K-State sophomore right-handed pitcher Brogan Heinen threw five shutout innings and had five strikeouts in the win.

Serratore continues to see the ball well early in the season as he leads K-State with six runs batted in.

Freshman infielder Cameron Thompson finished the game 4-4 and had a run batted in and scored two runs.

K-State ended the weekend with redemption against Ohio State as they beat the Buckeyes 3-2 in their final game in Florida.

With the game tied at two, the Wildcats scored a run in the eighth inning to take the lead and win the game.

This weekend, the Wildcats will play four games in South Carolina starting on Thursday.