K-State men’s golf team ties for 7th in Mobile Sports Authority Intercollegiate

0
48
Jeremy Gandon, then-freshman, finishes his swing from the fairway of hole 7 at Colbert Hills Golf Course during a team practice on October 1, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson |The Collegian)

The Kansas State men’s golf team started its 2017 spring season with a seventh-place finish at the Mobile Sports Authority Intercollegiate.

After a 1-over-par round as a team on the first day, the Wildcats struggled on day two, ending the day and tournament at 6-over-par.

“The conditions were pretty tough today with steady rain,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “We just have to keep improving. Everyone has shown flashes of what we are capable of. We have to be more consistent and be able to put three solid rounds together.”

Sophomore Roland Massimino and freshman Jacob Eklund led the way for the Wildcats, both tying for 25th at 3-over-par. Eklund had a strong second round, shooting 4-under-par.

“I was really proud of Jacob,” Robbins said. “He had a tough opening round (7-over par 79), but he really battled to shoot even par in the second round and came back to have the low round of the day.”

Sophomore Jeremy Gandon wasn’t far behind, tying for 31st with a 4-over-par. Redshirt freshman Ben Fernandez and freshman Levi Valadez tied for 44th with an 8-over-par.

Louisville won the 15-field team tournament shooting 8-under-par. Individually, Alexander Herrmann of Georgia State and Wes Gosselin of Chattanooga tied for the win, shooting 6-under-par.

Next up for the Wildcats is the Tiger Invitational in Opelika, Alabama, March 5-7.