K-State men’s basketball team blown out by Oklahoma

0
542
Sophomore gaurd Barry Brown stands on the court during the basketball game between K-State and Oklahoma State in Bramlage Colisium on Feb. 22, 2017. (File Photo by Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team late-season struggles continued Saturday on the road against last-place Oklahoma. The Wildcats never really put up a fight against the league’s worst team, trailing for all but 21 seconds in the 81-51 blowout loss.

K-State (17-12, 6-10) has now lost eight out of their last 10 games after starting the season 15-4. The loss almost all but ends the Wildcats chances for an NCAA tournament birth when the time comes.

The Wildcat’s abysmal shooting performance did them in against the Sooners. K-State shot just 25 percent from the field while making just 3 of 23 from the 3-point line, or 13 percent.

It was apparent from the start that the Wildcats were not ready to compete against the last-place Sooners. K-State made just 2 of 18 shots from the field to start the game and only managed to score 20 points in the first half, taking a 33-20 deficit into the break.

The second half was all Oklahoma. The Sooners shot 56 percent in the second half and easily pulled away from the Wildcats, who showed no fight.

Redshirt freshman Isaiah Maurice was a surprise factor and led the Wildcats with 11 points in just nine minutes of action.

K-State will have the next few days off before they head to Fort Worth, Texas, to take on TCU Wednesday night.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.