K-State tennis team goes 1-1 in Chicago

0
61
Senior Iva Bago prepares to serve at K-State's match against Missouri at the K-State Recreation Tennis Courts on Feb. 10, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

The Kansas State tennis team ended 1-1 on its trip to Chicago over the weekend, going on a 7-0 tear against the University of Illinois in Chicago and falling to DePaul in a hard-fought 4-3 loss.

This brings the Wildcats to 7-4 on the season; ending their four-game road trip with a 3-1 record.

“The court conditions were not easy today, and I am happy with how we responded and adjusted our game accordingly,” head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “We had some slow starts in both singles sets, but we were able to stick to our game plan and make the right adjustments. I am happy we could win all matches in straight sets.”

Saturday

K-State took on the University of Illinois at Chicago on Saturday. Sophomore doubles pair Millie Stretton and Ana Garcia Navas kicked off the successful day, taking down junior Miranda Rodriguez and senior Oana Manole 6-2. K-State’s freshman Ines Mesquita and junior Carolina Costamagna duo also came out on top, snagging the doubles point for the Wildcats.

On the singles side, K-State caught fire, claiming all of the singles victories in straight sets. Senior Livia Cirnu hit off the day, beating the Flames’ sophomore Rachel Comber 6-3 and 6-4.

It was another strong match at the No. 3 slot for Mesquita, the reigning Big 12 Player of the Week, who knocked off junior Melika Leblanc 6-4 and 6-2.

Costamagna closed the day out at the No. 1 spot, taking down Manole 7-5 and 6-1 and improving to 7-3 on the season.

Sunday

K-State lost to DePaul 4-3 on Sunday, ending its third road game winning streak.

“Credit goes to DePaul for coming out in doubles with more energy and conviction to execute their game plan,” head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “We know by now that if we get to a slow start in doubles it’s is hard for us to get back, with doubles being so short and quick.

It was a slow start indeed. The day opened with the Wildcats surrendering their doubles point, losing each of their matches.

During singles competition, Mesquita managed to shine some light, as she has all season long, beating Keisha Clousing 6-0 and 6-2 at the No. 3 spot. It was Mesquita’s fourth straight win.

Garcia Navas followed Mesquita’s winning ways in the next match, beating Ana Vladutu 6-2 in both sets and heading home undefeated.

DePaul was able to claim victories at the Nos. 1, 2 and 5 spots in singles play.

Cirnu won a hard-fought battle at the No. 6 spot, beating the Blue Demons’ freshman Florence Abbott, topping her 6-4 in each set.

K-State now heads into a four-game home stand at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium, beginning with the University of Houston on Friday at 1 p.m.