News Briefs: Feb. 27

0
109
KU basketball player Josh Jackson goes up for a block in the basketball game between K-State and KU in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 6, 2017. (File Photo by Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

A KU WOMEN’S BASKETBALL player’s time on the court decreased after she filed a report that her car had been vandalized by Josh Jackson, a KU men’s basketball player, according to the Kansas City Star on Feb. 24. Jackson was charged with a property-damage misdemeanor related to the alleged vandalism, but did not miss any games as a result of the charge. KU men’s basketball coach Bill Self said Jackson was disciplined in-house, but did not elaborate on what the discipline consisted of.

SEN. BERNIE SANDERS, D-Vermont, spoke at Topeka High School on Saturday “to call for a spirited, targeted revolution in politics capable of healing wounds suffered by the Democratic Party,” according to the Topeka Capital-Journal. More than 3,000 people went to listen to Sanders speak on how to “transform energy from post-election marches into a ‘political revolution.'”

A “WARMER THAN NORMAL WINTER” has some Kansas farmers worried about their crops, the Topeka Capital-Journal reported. Chip Redmond, who manages the Kansas mesonet, said above-average February temperatures create two problems: plants are beginning to bud earlier and the low snow and rain means not enough moisture to feed the early-budding plants.

Kaitlyn Alanis
Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!