Women’s golf team wins Westbrook Spring Invitational

0
61
Then-junior Paige Nelson follows her ball to the green of hole 11 at Colbert Hills during a women's golf team practice on Oct. 13, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s golf team started its spring season in high fashion, winning the Westbrook Spring Invitational that took place on Sunday and Monday at the Westbrook Village Golf Club in Peoria, Arizona.

The team shot a 3-under-par 861 to beat the 13-team field by four strokes. The 861 team score is now tied for the second lowest 54-hole score.

The Wildcats sat two shots back of first place after the first day, but pulled ahead after a solid second day.

“I’m really proud of the ladies,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “They did what they needed to do, which was stay patient and stay calm throughout the round.”

Junior Connie Jaffrey led the team, coming in second place with a 6-under-par. Aubrey Judd of Nebraska won the tournament with a 7-under-par.

Senior Madison Talley put together some solids rounds, shooting a 1-under-par, which tied her for 10th. Freshman Tara Carlson tied for 21st with a 2-over-par. Senior Katherine Gravel-Coursol tied for 31st, and senior Paige Nelson tied for 37th, shooting a 5-over-par and a 6-over-par, respectively.

On March 10-12, the Wildcats will return to the course in Tucson, Arizona, for the Mountain View Collegiate.