K-State tennis looks to bounce back against Houston

0
46
Senior Iva Bago and freshman Ines Masquita stand in between a point at K-State's match against Missouri at the K-State Recreation Tennis Courts on Feb. 10, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

The K-State women’s tennis team begins a four-game home stand, starting today at 1 p.m. in the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium versus the University of Houston.

K-State has only competed against the University of Houston one time, and managed to get the best of them with a 1-0 all-time record.

“It is good to be back home after two weekends on the road,” said head coach Danielle Steinberg to K-State Sports. “I think despite our close loss on Sunday, we are making great strides and improvements in all areas.”

The Wildcats are coming off a road trip to Chicago, finishing the weekend at 1-1. They dominated the University of Illinois at Chicago 7-0 but could not pull out the victory against DePaul, falling 4-3.

Houston had a rough season thus far, sitting at just 4-6. The troubles do not stop there, as they head into their match with K-State on a four-game losing streak. They were blown out 4-0 in their previous match against Oregon.

The Cougars rally behind their young talent, freshman Tsveta Dimitrova. Despite losing her previous match, she is 4-2 when competing at the No. 1 spot this season.

Junior Carolina Costamagna will look to get back on track at the No. 1 spot after losing her previous match.

K-State will also rely on a freshman, Ines Mesquita. Mesquita continues to drop jaws as the season progresses, with a record of 7-2 and winning four straight matches. She has dominated the No. 3 spot, sitting at 6-1.

“Things are really starting to come together for us in few spots, and that’s exciting,” Steinberg told K-State Sports. “As always, we will keep focusing on individual aspects of the game in practice this week and get ready for another battle on Friday.”

K-State will look to get back to their winning ways against Houston, followed by a week-long break. They will then continue to play at home against University of Nebraska Omaha at 10 a.m. on March 10.