Owner of Johnny Kaw’s buys Rusty’s, plans to open for Fake Patty’s Day

A Fake Patty's Day goer at Johnny Kaw's during Fake Patty's Day celebration in Aggieville on March 7, 2015. (File Photo by Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

An inflatable gorilla appeared on Aggieville bar Rusty’s roof with a sign announcing the building is now owned by Johnny Kaw’s Sports Bar.

Brett Allred, owner of Johnny Kaw’s, said he took possession of Rusty’s, which was closed down by its previous owners last month, on Monday and will open for Fake Patty’s Day on Saturday, March 11.

Allred said Rusty’s will be hiring new staff starting next week and will bring in current employees from other bars he owns in Kansas City, Missouri, for the Fake Patty’s Day opening.

“We are prepared and ready to go,” Chad Broadway, general manager at Johnny Kaw’s, said.

Allred said after Fake Patty’s Day, Rusty’s will be closed again for renovations, which will expand the front patio and make space for tailgate games such as ladders, beer pong and Jenga. There will also be a stage for live music, and other parts of the bar will be updated. Once it is open again, the bar will be renamed Johnny Kaw’s Yard Bar.

The bar will be split into a “backyard” and “front yard,” Allred said. The “backyard” is anticipated to open sometime in the summer and the “front yard” by the time the fall semester starts.

“We think it’s going to help Aggieville as a whole, because this place has struggled for a little while,” Allred said. “I think this will be a good change for Aggieville.”

Kelsey Kendall
Hi everyone! I'm a junior in journalism and cultural anthropology. I'm pretty excited to be the Collegian feature editor this semester. I hope to someday take the skills I learn here to a major newspaper reporting on international issues.