SGA plans expansion of intern program

0
80

The Kansas State University Student Governing Association introduced legislation Thursday evening that would accept more students into the senate’s intern program.

Currently, the program is limited to accepting at least 20, but not more than 25 students every year. The proposed legislation would increase those limits to a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 35. An accompanying bill would create another intern coordinator position to accommodate the larger intern class.

William Moore, freshman intern in economics, said the senate would greatly benefit from a larger yearly intern class.

“Hopefully, a bigger size will increase our diversity and retention within senate,” Moore said.

Last year, the intern program had to turn away three people due to the restrictions on membership size, said Hannah Markel, freshman intern in psychology and journalism and mass communications.

“There were a lot of people who applied for the intern program, and what we’ve been told is the selection committee came down to 28 interns, but there was legislation that made it impossible because the cap was at 25,” Markel said. “This gives the committee flexibility to pick 35 interns, but they don’t have to choose to do so.”

Moore said the intern program provides valuable experience for students with aspirations for the student government.

“It just gives prior knowledge on the procedures and gives the interns a ways and means to look at the committees to see where they would best fit within student government, whether it be in executive, legislative, or judicial branches,” Moore said. “It’ll give them a little bit of a start to see what they want their platform for elections to be.”

In other action

The senate allocated $100 to the Public Relations Student Society of America for travel to the Public Relations Student Society of America National Assembly in Seattle later this month. There would be $400 to the Block and Bridle organization for travel to the national Block and Bridle convention in Arlington, Virginia, $150 to the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers for travel to Lyons, Kansas, to tour the Kansas Ethanol Plant and $1,000 to the International Tuba and Euphonium Association for travel to the Great Plains Tuba and Euphonium Regional Conference at Iowa State University in May.

The senate commended senator Carlos Flores, senior in agricultural economics, and Tiffany Carter, graduate student in agronomy, for their participation at the Department of Agriculture Agricultural Outlook Forum in Washington, D.C., in February.

The senate expelled Isaiah Solorzano, sophomore in statistics and data science and senator from the College of Arts and Sciences. The senate will replace Solorzano with the next highest placing College of Arts and Sciences candidate in last year’s election, should that person choose to accept the position.

Rafael Garcia
I'm Rafael Garcia, and I'm a 2019 K-State graduate in journalism and former editor-in-chief of the K-State Collegian. I believe that much of the world's problems come from a lack of understanding of other people, but by telling other people's stories and finding the good in the world, I think we can increase our understanding and appreciation of each other. Questions, comments, concerns, news tips? Email the Collegian team at news@kstatecollegian.com.