Massimino ties for 4th at Tiger Invitational

0
58
Then-sophomore Trent Evans eyes his putt on the green of hole No. 9 at Colbert Hills during a team practice on Oct. 1, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

In the second tournament of the season, the Kansas State men’s golf team might not have performed like it had hoped, but sophomore Roland Massimino did, tying for fourth place at the Tiger Invitational.

“I am really proud of Roland, just to see the improvement he’s made over the last couple of years is a testament to the type of person he is,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “He works hard and is committed to doing the things that will make our team successful.”

Massimino shot 5-under par in the first round and finished up with two 1-under par scores to end the tournament 7-under par.

Sophomore Jeremy Gandon tied for 47th at 6-over par. Senior Matt Green wasn’t far behind, shooting 7-over par, which tied him for 54th.

Freshman Jacob Eklund tied for 72nd and freshman Ben Fernandez came in 82nd, shooting 11-over par and 13-over par, respectively.

Senior Jack Rickabaugh competed as an individual and tied for 98th with a 34-over par.

Auburn won the team tournament, shooting a 13-under par. Thomas Eldridge of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington won the tournament while shooting 13-under par.

The next tournament for the Wildcats will be the Schenkel Invitational March 17-19 in Statesboro, Georgia.