Bat Cats look to keep hot start going

0
55
Junior outfielder Hanz Harker runs to third base at the K-State baseball game against Eastern Illinois University at Tointon Family Stadium on March 5, 2017. (John Benfer | The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team got off to a sizzling start this year, beginning the year 11-2. The Wildcats will look to add on to that with a three-game home series against the University of California, Riverside.

The only two losses for the Wildcats came in the first games of the year against Ohio State and St. John’s, both at neutral sites.

During the Wildcats’ hot start, they picked up a win against then-No. 4 South Carolina.

Recently, K-State’s at-bats have been a driving force to its wins, as the Wildcats have scored double-digit runs in five straight games.

Senior pitcher Parker Rigler also experienced on the most exciting moments of the season on Sunday, as Rigler pitched a no-hitter against Eastern Illinois. Rigler struck out six and walked two in the 14-0 win.

Freshman second baseman/outfielder Cameron Thompson leads the Wildcats with a .433 batting average. Senior first baseman Jake Scudder and senior infielder Quintin Crandall lead K-State with four home runs each. Scudder is also tied for the team lead in RBIs with senior outfielder Steve Serratore with 14.

The pitching has also been a bright spot so far for the Wildcats, as the team boasts a 3.42 ERA.

After its series with UC-Riverside, the Wildcats only have six games before conference play begins with a three-game series at Texas March 24-26. K-State’s Big 12 home opener is on March 31 against TCU.