K-State Tennis: Tough three-game home stand

0
65
Senior Iva Bago stands ready at K-State's match against Missouri at the K-State Recreation Tennis Courts on Feb. 10, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

The K-State tennis team has had a week to regroup before heading into a tough three-match weekend at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium, where they look to snap a two-game losing streak.

The Wildcats kick the weekend off with a doubleheader, beginning with Nebraska-Omaha today at 10 a.m., followed by a match at 3 p.m. against No. 6 Texas Tech to begin Big 12 play. They will finish the weekend Sunday with No. 22 Texas Christian University.

K-State is coming off a 4-2 loss at home to the University of Houston.

Hitting off the three-game stretch, K-State will face Omaha for the first time. Omaha is 3-8 on the season. The Mavericks have struggled lately, going 1-6 in their last seven matches, and are coming off a 5-2 loss to North Dakota.

Following the match against Omaha, K-State will have their hands full against No. 6 Texas Tech, who is 10-3 on the season. All three of their losses have been to top-10 teams. Texas Tech has won three straight, one of which was taking down No. 22 TCU 4-0. The Wildcats fell to Texas Tech in last year’s meeting 4-0.

All around, the Red Raiders have a solid team. They rally behind junior Gabriela Talaba, who is ranked No. 17 in the nation with a 6-4 record at the No. 1 spot on the team. However, their No. 5 and No. 6 players have shined all season long and have yet to lose a match with a combined 12-0 record.

K-State will close the weekend out against No. 22 Texas Christian. TCU has two matches prior to their meeting with K-State where they will look to snap their current three-game losing streak.

The Horned Frogs turn to their experienced senior, Seda Arantekin, who has bounced back and forth between the Nos. 1 and 2 spots on the team this season. She has a 7-2 record, losing one game at each position.

TCU is a force to be reckoned with on the doubles side with the pairing of Donika Bashota/Olaya Garrido-Rivas, who ranked No. 7 in the country.

After an action-packed weekend in the Little Apple, the K-State team will head to Dallas to take on Southern Methodist University on March 18.