Wildcats look for third team championship of the season at Mountainview Collegiate

0
32

Coming off their second team championship of the 2016-2017 season at the Westbrook Invitational, the Kansas State women’s golf team is looking for its third team championship at the Mountainview Collegiate this weekend.

With junior Connie Jaffrey leading the way, K-State tied its second-lowest 54-hole team score in school history with a 3-under par score of 861. Now, for the second time in the last three years, K-State has had multiple team victories in the same season.

“I’m really proud of the ladies,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “They did what they needed to do, which was to stay patient and stay calm throughout the round.”

Jaffrey had a score of six under a par of 210 in three rounds at the Westbrook Spring Invitational. Her score of 67 in the third round tied for the third-lowest in school history. Her performance helped her finish second and earn the best individual round of the tournament on her way to Big 12 Golfer of the Month honors. She looks to do the same this weekend to help her team to another team championship.

Six players will be competing for the Wildcats this weekend. Seniors Madison Talley, Paige Nelson and Katherine Gravel-Coursol and freshman Tash Carlsson will compete with the team and sophomore Chloe Weir will compete as an individual.

“This team is looking forward to competing,” Knight said. “Playing in the present and focusing on the process will be the key.”

The Wildcats will be competing in the Mountainview Collegiate for the 19th time. The last time they got a team victory in this tournament was in 2002. They will compete against twelve teams, including two ranked teams, No. 17 Arizona and No. 25 Oklahoma.

The three-day Mountanview Collegiate tournament will be played at the Mountainview Golf Club in Tuscon, Arizona, today through Sunday.